Sunday, April 5, 2009

Gifts

I write things on my skin. I write things on my skin that I know have substance. I write things on my skin that deserve to be written somewhere and displayed to me and others because writing those things anywhere else wouldn't do the words justice.

I suppose that's why people get tattoos.
...

I wrote "See God's Gifts" on my hand recently. I don't really know why. I think I did it because I'm not thankful. I'm thankful for people and what they do for me a lot of times, but not thankful for things that are consistent or constant.

My downfall, and the downfall of a lot of people I think, is that when we look around us we will too often just accept that everything just "is what it is." This is just how things work and there is no merit in spending effort trying to think about where these things came from or what they are or why we have them.
...

When you start to think about that, it is exhausting; I'll admit to that. But it is also rewarding. It is rewarding because we become thankful when we can start to see how different (often times in not so preferable ways) our lives would be.

We become aware of what an impact these constant and consistent things have in our lives. And so we become thankful for them.
...

I have come to accept that everything I experience shapes me. Every story I tell or don't tell about myself has had an impact on me in a way that is probably more profound than I can realize. It impacts what I find worthwhile, humorous, detestable, valuable, lovable, enjoyable, and so on.

My struggle becomes recognizing that in the middle of a story I am currently a part of that I am being impacted in ways that will affect me long after this story has come to a close. Whether this is a story with a fairytale ending or a heartbreaking ending, this story will impact me beyond its conclusion.
...

When the story I am living right now sucks, as happens from time to time, then I'm normally not a very thankful person. I am not able to see the benefits of the bad times until they are long since over.

Retrospect is what allows me to see the good things that have come out of my life because of the bad times. But there has almost always been a good thing that came out of those bad times. No matter how bad.
...

So here is my conclusion:

Seeing God's Gifts is more than just about seeing the little things. It's more than just about seeing the big things. It's about seeing the things that God uses to change us. It's about looking around you, right in the midst of where you are, and becoming aware that God is doing things at this point in your life, right now, that are going to be influential.

It's about knowing that God is working to bring His will to pass in your life, and in this world. It is about being thankful that we are a part of that process.

It is a gift for us to be a part of that process.
...

Peace.

3 comments:

  1. i started reading this the other day, and thought it was fantastic, but didn't get too far cuz i had some stuff goin on... just read the whole thing and decided my initial reaction was correct- fantastic! "Everything happens for a reason" is something i personally live by. This is a great post, thanx for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's about where we are right now.

    Yes.

    Thank you; I needed that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good words nick. i think we forget to see God in the little, everyday things, like you stated. great stuff man.

    ReplyDelete