Saturday, July 26, 2008

Movies Movies Movies

I love movies.  This summer I have watched a lot of movies.  There is no way I can remember all the movies I have seen so far this summer.  Even still, I will try to give a few quick reviews of the movies I remember I've seen this summer.
...

THE HAPPENING - I don't dislike Mark Walberg at all, and I was really routing for a good performance.  Nope.  I was denied.  The acting by Walberg was terrible.  It sounded like every line he said he was reading for the first time.  The script didn't help him any.

3 out of 10
...

THE INCREDIBLE HULK - As my roommate Sam said, "If you watched it on mute it would be a kick-ass movie."  A lot of the dialogue was just really poor.  Espicially William Hurt.  Ugh, it made me cringe at times.  Liv Tyler and Edward Norton were pretty solid, to be honest.  But aside from the fact that a solid portion of the movie was decent, some things that happen in that movie are just ridiculous.  Maybe I'm just spoiled from the next movie I'm about to review.

5 out of 10
...

THE DARK KNIGHT - Amazing.  Incredible.  Astonishing.  Phenomenal.  The Nolan brothers writing was amazing.  The direction was flawless.  The performances from Bale, Oldman, Gyllenhaal, Freeman, and Caine were all awesome.  Just awesome.  Eckhart was an fantastic Harvey Dent.  Heath... oh, Heath.  Ledger's performance has actually made me want to act again.  It was such an experience to see him put a face on a character so sinister and dark that he didn't seem real.  Albeit, I know that it was only possible for Heath to do what he did because of the amazing script the Nolan brothers gave him.  The whole movie has made me want to write and act again.  It was just that amazing.

On the trivial side, I will say that the incredible detail the sonar was able to give batman was a little too much for me.  I love how realistic Chris Nolan is trying to do everything, but that sonar just seemed to be such a step away from that.  I didn't like it.  Also, the CGI Two-Face was a little much for me.  I'm not saying I have an alternative, just that looking at it was a little distracting, in a bad way.  The last thing I will say is that Harvey Dent turned a little easier than I thought he would.  He was so strong the entire movie, then after one event he just gave up.  I think there is a case to be made for the way it went.

All those critiques are more than trivial, and the movie is still my favorite movie EVER.  Seriously, if you have not seen this, or have seen it only once, go see it.  RIGHT NOW!

10 out of 10
...

THE STRANGERS - I wanted this to be good.  I really really did.  It was freaky, yes.  It wasn't scary for the hour and twenty I was in the theater though.  I love the fact that the motive was random.  I loved that a lot.  But I suppose when there is no motive, there is no plot.  That may have been why only freaky cinematography was all the movie has to offer.  Also, the ending... I was not happy.  Either way, I just wish the movie has more to offer than people popping out and some creepy scenes.  Just too predictable.

4 out of 10
...

THE MISSION - This movie is not recent, but I saw it for the first time recently.  It was really solid.  Jeremy Irons and Robert De Niro were both really good and just the whole story was unique and something I really appreciated.  The spiritual aspect was also something I enjoyed.  The conflict of interest between De Niro and Irons is very valuable.  Everyone with any kind of interest in the Christian faith should see this.

8.5 out of 10
...

TALLADEGA NIGHTS - This movie was just too random for me.  It is quotable, just like any other Will Ferrell movie.  It was funny, but the plot and some of the scenes just seemed to random and dragged on.  I guess I'm glad I can say I've seen it, but it wasn't what I was hoping for.

6 out of 10
...

INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL - Sure, it was cool to see another Indy movie.  Sure, Shia Lebouf was a pleasant surprise.  However, George Lucas needs to stop.  He just needs to stop.  This movie has an ending and a story line that is just so crazy... I don't know what else to say.  If you are going to see this movie, it should only be because it is an Indiana Jones movie and Harrison came back to do it.  There really isn't any other worthy justification.

4 out of 10
...

THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: PRINCE CASPIAN - I haven't read the book, but this was entertaining.  Peter really got on my nerves.  I'm just saying, the kid had a chip on his shoulder that really started to piss me off.  Its okay thought, last movie Edmund made me want to punch him right in the face.  In this one, that responsibility just shifted to Peter.  So be it, I enjoyed watching this movie.  Aside from the bear who had the most hilarious voice and Lucy's line early in the movie, "Feels like magic!" (what does magic feel like?  And how would you know Lucy, eh?) the movie was pretty solid.

7.75 out of 10
...

That is all I can remember as of now that I've seen this summer for the first time.  Hope they help.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment