Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Live, From Vacation

I can only imagine checking this blog occasionally and seeing every single time the only posts that are being are added are merely quotes from books I've read.  I'm sorry, but I guess I'm starting to summer coming to an end, and that is stressing me out because I have a lot to get organized and done before that happens.
...

This past friday we did The Big Event at Rivertree, which was a way to get a large group of people connected and hopefully plugged into Thrive groups in one night.  Me and Toby came up with the format and it was one of my biggest projects for the summer.  It went well.  We had to deal with a lot of last minute changes, but hey, thats ministry.  

In all honesty, that is one of the things I have learned over and over again while at Rivertree: that things will change last second in ministry all the time and you just need to be cool with that.  God will get out of your efforts what He desires, and thats is ultimately what we always want.  So in the end, everything is cool.  But seriously, that is a lesson you can only learn and grow comfortable with through experience.  At least that's my opinion.
...

So I've obviously been reading a lot this summer.  That is cool.  Read a lot of good books.  The funny thing is... the list of books I want to read just keeps getting longer.  I can only imagine that that is how it is going to be for the rest of my life at this point.  I don't think I'm going to be able to read books as fast as they come across my radar.  How discouraging.  Ha.
...

The rest of the summer is a lot of just gearing up to be ready when the switch happens back to school.  I have things to get done at the theater, I have books to read, I have to things to do academically for the internship, I have things to continue praying about and organizing for small groups, and I have a lot of debriefing and just casual conversations with people at Rivertree that are still happening.  It may not sound very stressful, but it feels very rushed to me.  Oh well, that really is life.
...

As of now, I am in Pennsylvania.  Back home visiting the family for the first time since Mother's Day.  It is nice to come home and see everyone.  It's nice to be around people who, because of trial and error (and just the test of time), I feel have a real unconditional love for me.  That is so nice to be able to run to or just experience every time I come home.  I'm sure that is an obvious and unnecessary statement to make, but to me it was worth saying.

It has taken me being severely detached from my high school friends for over a year for me to actually want to see them again and spend time with them.  I was ready to move on, but now I'm ready to see people and say hi.  Hopefully I get to do that while I'm home.
...

I am currently rereading Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis (slowly) and reading The Barbarian Way by Erwin McManus (very fast).  Hopefully I will get them both done by the time my vacation is over.  I just bought The Secret Message Of Jesus by Brian McLaren and want to get done with that by the time school starts.  I better pick it up.
...

Not too much else is new.  Just kinda trying to stay connected and keep my head on straight.  This summer has been an amazing blessing.  I hope things continue to be as fruitful as this.

Hope things are well with you all.  Blessings.

Peace.

1 comment:

  1. Dude... I just read The Barbarian Way. I even took a page out of your book and wrote down quotes... just a few... but still... ironically funny!

    ReplyDelete