Sunday, October 5, 2008

Hair Ties And Life Stories

Last year around this time I found a black hair tie in a friend of mine's bookbag. I put it on my wrist.

Not because it meant anything. That was kind of the point. I actually just did it because I thought it looked kinda cool. Another part of me liked the idea of wearing a wristband that didn't mean anything since everyone always seems to wear wristbands that stand for something. I guess I just wanted to go against the grain a little bit.
...

I had that wristband on my right wrist 24/7. People would ask what it stood for, or what it meant, or why I was wearing it. They always seems so surprised/confused when I would say it didn't mean anything; I just thought it looked kinda cool.

I guess people really don't wear wristbands just for the hell of it. Except me, that is.
...

I tell this story because about 3 weeks ago I lost my black wristband.

And all of a sudden, my meaningless black wristband had a ton of meaning to me. Not intentionally, of course, but I started to catch myself noticing it wasn't on my wrist and then I would begin to remember everything I went through or experienced over the past year of my life.

It was like a chapter of my life could be defined as the chapter I wore this black hair tie on my wrist.
...

To be honest I miss it; I don't want that chapter of my life to end.
...

A couple great friendships grew and formed in this chapter.
-
A couple relationships got off the ground but never went anywhere in this chapter.
-
A lot of great times were shared with my core group of friends in this chapter.
-
I lived in Upper Barclay for the first time in this chapter.
-
I took a hiatus from theater in this chapter.
-
I struggled with pacifism and government in this chapter.
-
I broke a bone for the first time in my life in this chapter.
-
I broke a bone for the second time in my life in this chapter.
-
A lot of great books were read in this chapter.
-
I spent my first summer in Canton in this chapter.
-
I took the longest road trip of my life in this chapter.
-
I hurt a lot of people in this chapter.
-
A lot of people hurt me in this chapter.
-
I loved a lot of people in this chapter.
-
A lot of people loved me in this chapter.
-
I had the internship of a lifetime in this chapter.
-
The vision for Move groups came in this chapter.
-
I pursued and ran from Jesus in this chapter.
-
Jesus pursued me in this chapter.
-
You
were in this chapter.
Thank you.
...

I'm going to miss that chapter.



Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment